Recipe by David Reidy
I was a big fan of veal marsala but decided on ethical grounds to stop eating veal. Pork happened to be available in similar steak cuts so I started using that. This recipe comes from a number of weeks of playing around with ingredients.
Top Review by dinky100
I love veal marsala as well- but same reasons I stopped buying veal. I buy instead extra thin cut pork cutlets, scallopine style- and soak them in milk overnight- it tenderizes them & gives them a "veal" flavor... I also added about 1lb of mushrooms & increased the wine. I serve with fettuicine & asparagus... superb!!
- 2 pork butterfly steaks
- 1⁄2 cup marsala
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup chives
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and coat the pork steaks with the mixture.
- Put olive oil and butter in a frying pan and heat until bubbling.
- Add steaks to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes each side (or until cooked as you prefer).
- Remove steaks from pan and put to one side.
- Add marsala to the oil in the pan.
- Allow alcohol to boil off and reduce heat.
- Add cream and stir until the sauce is of an even consistency.
- Place the cooked steaks back into the pan and cover with sauce, allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Add chives just before removing from the heat and serving.