Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Absolutely delicious and hearty soup that is always a crowd pleaser and the best I have ever had. Not for those highly concerned with fat grams but worth the splurge even if you are. Great served alongside a meal of soft tacos. I frequently use "Better than Bouillon" as a base and I think the lobster and vegetable are equally good. If you want a lighter, thinner version, omit the creams and use another quart of whole or 2% milk.
- 2 (15 ounce) canswhite creamed corn
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1⁄2 large onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 teaspoon better than bouillon lobster base or 2 teaspoons better than bouillon vegetable stock base
- 1 teaspoon chiles de arbol or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 quart whole milk
- Puree onion and celery in food processor and drain liquid.
- In large soup pot, melt 2 T. margarine and once hot, add onion/celery puree and poblano pepper.
- When vegetables are softened but not browned, add shrimp, cream, half and half, pepper, chili de arbol, sugar and lobster base.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer slowly.
- For Roux: In small saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter then add 1/2 cup flour in 2 tablespoon increments stirring well after each spoonful until roux is creamy, amber in color and falls lazily from the spoon. Add this in 1/4 cup increments to the soup stirring well. Simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Add corn, stir well.
- Adjust taste with salt, sugar, and chili de arbol as desired.
- May serve immediately or simmer slowly until ready to serve.
This was unbelievable!! I made it for our annual spring party/BBQ and it was gone in about 5 minutes! I went the full fat route and the flavor was out of this world! Thank you.