This is slightly modified recipe from Bon Appetit. Their version is served in the Sundown Cafe in Atlanta. I've added more spice and seasoning, and reduced some fat. It was easy and quick to prepare on a weeknight, and the family asked for seconds - the best kind of recipe in my book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (reserve 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup whipping cream (or lowfat evaporated milk)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined,chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- hot sauce
- 1Chop onion, celery and poblano pepper.
- 2Melt butter (or heat oil) in stock pot or Dutch oven.
- 3Add onion, celery and poblano chilies and saute until soft, about 6 minutes.
- 4Add creamed corn, frozen corn, chicken broth (except reserved 1/4 cup), cream (or evaporated milk), sugar, red pepper, salt and pepper.
- 5Simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- 6Mix 2 tbsp flour in reserved 1/4 cup chicken broth.
- 7Add to soup mixture, and stir.
- 8Add shrimp and cilantro.
- 9Simmer about 5 minutes longer, until shrimp are cooked, and serve.
- 10Pass the hot sauce.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poblano Corn Chowder with Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.8
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 160.0 mg
- Sodium 1325.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 19.7 g