Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is slightly modified recipe from Bon Appetit. Their version is served in the Sundown Cafe in Atlanta. I've added more spice and seasoning, and reduced some fat. It was easy and quick to prepare on a weeknight, and the family asked for seconds - the best kind of recipe in my book.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (reserve 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup whipping cream (or lowfat evaporated milk)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined,chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- hot sauce
- Chop onion, celery and poblano pepper.
- Melt butter (or heat oil) in stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Add onion, celery and poblano chilies and saute until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add creamed corn, frozen corn, chicken broth (except reserved 1/4 cup), cream (or evaporated milk), sugar, red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Mix 2 tbsp flour in reserved 1/4 cup chicken broth.
- Add to soup mixture, and stir.
- Add shrimp and cilantro.
- Simmer about 5 minutes longer, until shrimp are cooked, and serve.
- Pass the hot sauce.