Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Ever wonder what to do with the leftover meat toppings you didn't put on your pizza? Well, I had some italian sausage and pepperoni left over and this is a recipe that I came up with that I wanted to share with you all. My italian sausage was already cooked but if you wanted to use raw, you could omit the butter and oil and cook the onion, mushroom and garlic with the sausage.
- 3 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 5 -10 slices pepperoni (depending on the size you use)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring water to a boil in a 3 quart sauce pan. Boil noodles and set aside.
- These steps are if you are using pre-cooked sausage:.
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet; the oil keeps the butter from burning.
- Add your mushrooms, onions and garlic and saute until almost done.
- Add your precooked sausage and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until sausage is heated through.
- (If you aren't using pre-cooked sausage, cook the sausage, mushrooms, onion and garlic together and omit the butter and oil.).
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, add 2 Tablespoons spaghetti sauce to the bottom.
- Layer 1/2 of the cooked noodles, sausage mixture, 1/2 of the remaining sauce and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Layer the remaining noodles, remaining sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Top the dish off with pepperoni slices.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and dish is heated through.
Oh yum! I used fresh sausage minus the casings and homemade tomato sauce from Adriana's Pasta Pie,as it's one of our favourites. I eyeballed all of the ingredients and definately used more mozzarella and way,way more pepperoni than stated. It smelled divine as it emerged from the oven and tasted just delicious. A wonderfully simple and tasty dish,that has so many variations just crying out to be made,as it's so versatile. Thanks gertc,this was a real winner with us!!
This recipe made it into our Book #231450. 7/17/08 - I made this in a 9x13 casserole pan with leftover penne pasta to which I mixed using (all small amounts of leftovers from the fridge) mozzerella, parmesan, cream cheese, and sour cream. I then topped that with a layer of cooked sausage, chopped up sliced ham, and lots of pepperoni. Then poured on the remaining sauce I had and added some additional cheeses including cheddar over top. This is a simple throw together meal that took 30 minutes at 375F. This is very, very good! Any type of leftovers would work well in this pizza smorgasbourg, but you definitely should use the pepperoni! ;)
My DH raved on and on about how great this dish was. It was easy to put together. I cooked fresh sausage with mushrooms, and garlic. I added red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper and Koscher salt. Made as directed. Next time I would like to experiment with adding some ricotta cheese or some provolone cheese. Thanks Gert for sharing this nice dish. Made for Fall PAC 2008.