Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe for Sopa de Frijol was found in Extending the Table. Submitted for Zaar World Tour 3.
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 -3 fresh green chilies, finely chopped or 1 -3 Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 4 cups pinto beans (canned or cooked, drain but reserve liquid)
- 2 cups reserved bean liquid
- salt or chicken bouillon powder
- fresh cilantro
- Heat oil or margarine in a large saucepan.
- Add tomato, onion and green chilies or Tabasco and fry until browned.
- In a blender, liquefy the pinto beans in the reserve liquid.
- Add bean puree to sauteed vegetables along with enough additional water to thin soup to your desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt or bouillon powder and cilantro.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes over low heat to blend flavors.
- Garnish with grated cheese, croutons or crispy tortilla strips.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: serve with quesadillas or grilled cheese sandwiches.
Made this for one of my Pick a Chef recipes for Spring 09. It was really easy and very tasty. I can't find my blender, ugh....so I used my Pampered Chef chopper to " puree" an amount of the beans and left the rest whole. I did reduce the oil, using evoo. I used Tabasco sauce in place of the chilies. Adding chicken bouillon with the water to thin to desired consistency worked well and no additional salt was required. Just a personal preference, I might increase the tomato and onion mixture next time and throw in some chopped bell peppers too. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. = )