Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A nice fall or winter soup. Canned beans can be used if desired. Good for lunch with a hearty bread. Freeze leftovers in soup bowl sizes for later use.
- Combine drained beans, stock,& thyme in a dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer till beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove 1 cup cooked beans and mash with a fork.
- Return mashed beans to dutch oven and add tomatoes, celery& corn.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
This recipe is very convenient since you could buy the ingredients well beforehand,& make the recipe whenever you were ready. This was a perfect recipe for my parents: my dad needs fiber, & my mom can't tolerate onions/garlic (in addition to her not being able to chop up too many veggies). If you use baby carrots, the only veggie chopping is the celery. I did a "quick soak" of the beans: I just boiled them in water for a few minutes and then drained. The tangy beans, the sween corn and the spices made for a superb blend! Thank you for submitting this recipe. It is a keepr! ---Ice Tea