Prep 24 hrs
Cook 14 mins
- 3⁄4 lb turkey breast, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass or 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemons, rind of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 plums or 2 nectarines, pitted and cut into thick slices
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks or 2 cups canned pineapple chunks
- hot cooked rice, with green sweet pepper slivers (optional)
- Cut turkey into 1-inch cubes.
- Place turkey in a self-sealing plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- For marinade, combine 1/3 cup pineapple juice, the 3 tablespoons of rum, brown sugar, lemon grass or lemon peel and oil.
- Pour over turkey.
- Seal bag.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain turkey, reserving marinade.
- In a small saucepan bring reserved marinade to boiling.
- Boil gently, uncovered, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- On four 12-inch metal skewers, alternately thread turkey and onion, leaving about a 1/4-inch space between pieces.
- Alternately thread plums pineapple onto 4 more skewers.
- Grill turkey and fruit kabobs on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals until turkey and onion are tender, turkey is no longer pink and fruit is heated through, turning once and brushing occasionally with the heated marinade during the last half of grilling.
- (Allow 12 to 14 minutes for turkey and onion and about 5 minutes for fruit.) If desired, serve over hot cooked rice.