Recipe by 3KillerBs
A flavorful side dish perfect for either adding interest to a meal featuring a plain meat or for standing up to an intricate dish that would overwhelm a bland side. Once you learn the technique you'll be confident enough to change the vegetables or adjust the seasonings to suit your particular meal.
Top Review by ksduffster
This was awesome! I only made 3 servings worth for me to eat as a main dish and I couldn't finish it because it is so filling. I used brown rice so I simmered the mixture for an extra 10 minutes or so until all the liquid was absorbed. I also used reduced fat chicken broth from the store and frozen chopped onions to make putting this together amazingly simple. All I really had to do was shred the zucchini I used. I didn't measure the seasonings and I think I used more than called for, but it made the dish even tastier, imho. The brown rice and bulgar together made for a decidedly nutty flavor, but it was so good. I also added about a 1/2 cup each of frozen peas and frozen corn to make the dish more of a full meal. I think if vegetable broth is used this would be a great vegetarian/vegan side dish or even meal. I will definitely be making this again. It is such an easy and flavorful side dish! Thanks 3KillerBs!
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 6 cups chicken stock (If you don't have homemade stock I recommend Tones Soup Base. Ordinary bullion cubes don't have enou)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup summer squash, shredded (go ahead and use up that big, tough one)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy-bottomed pot heat the olive oil and butter on medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the rice, bulgar, onions, squash, and seasonings. Keep stirring as the rice loses the translucency that it got from the oil and goes white again. Be VERY careful not to burn it because scorched grain reeks and tastes horrible.
- Once most of the rice is white add the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 12-15 minutes, stirring several times.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes to finish absorbing the liquid.
- Variations can be made by substituting orzo or broken spaghetti for the bulgar, beef stock for the chicken stock, or carrots, peas, spinach, or other vegetables for the shredded squash.