Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My mom has made this stew for Sunday dinners since I was a child & I finally got the recipe...Served over a bed of white rice, you can also add Pig Tails....Enjoy!!
- 1 -2 lb pig's foot
- 1 lb pigs tails (optional)
- 1⁄2 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 stalks green onions
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 cups dry pinto beans or 2 cups kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons relish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1. Rinse pigs feet.use knife to remove hairs from pig feet (as if scaling a fish).
- 2. Place in pot, cover with water, boil for 30-45 minutes to remove froth.
- 3. Meanwhile -- finely chop (or use food processor) the celery, onion, green onion, bell pepper, garlic -- may also add relish, carrots, or any other vegetables -- Set Aside.
- 4. Pour out water, rinse pigs feet, and use knife to remove any remaining hairs.
- 5. Rinse out pot, put pigs feet back in pot, cover with water and boil for 30 minutes. (This can be skipped if desired, but wont be as tender).
- 6. Pour out water, rinse pigs feet and rinse pot.
- 7. Place back in pot with chopped vegetables, beans, bouillons -- Cover with water and season to taste with salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- *** NOW IS THE TIME TO ADD PIGS TAILS IF DESIRED ***.
- 9. Bring to a boil on medium heat, cover and occassionaly stir for 2 hours -- Bring to low heat for last 1 hour.
- ** YOU WILL NEED TO ADD WATER TO STEW AS IT EVAPORATES **.
- 11. Serve over a bed of white rice.