Prep 4 hrs
Cook 120 hrs
If you enjoy things like this, then these are for YOU!!! The ones you get at the store or tavern are absolutely horrid! These are by far the BEST I've ever had!!! I had to go through a lot to get this recipe, but it was worth it! The directions may be a bit sketchy, but if you know how to do stuff like this, then it's a walk-in-the-park!
- 10 lbs turkey gizzards
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 8 tablespoons pickling spices
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced (NOT sweet)
- 2 lemons, sliced
- Bake gizzards at 275° for 3-4 hours or until tender -- let cool.
- Remove all fat from the gizzards & cut into bite-size pieces.
- For the BRINE:.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, dry mustard & the gizzards in a stainless steel pan.
- Bring to a boil & let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place the gizzards in a 1 gallon jar in layers with the sliced onion & lemon.
- Pour the brine over & let set for about 5-7 days.