Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I hate okra but would make these "pickles" for a friend of mine in N.C. She thought these were great! I would'nt know-LOL-
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3 lbs okra pods, washed,with stems removed
- 2⁄3 lb baby onion, peeled
- 6 cloves garlic
- 6 small hot chili peppers (optional)
- Make a brine with vinegar, water and celery seeds.
- Boil in a stainless steel pot or enamel.
- Pack okra firmly in hot, boiled jars.
- In each jar add 4 onions, 1 clove garlic and 1 chili pepper if using.
- Pour boiling brine over veg leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Process for 15 min in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
- Let stand for 2-3 weeks before serving.
This was a simple, easy to follow recipe, but I think salt needs to be added.The end results came out fantastic, but lacked flavor.
My husband and I grow okra and we have a lot of it right now. You can only eat fried okra so many times so this is a great recipe to help me use it up. They are still in the standing stage but I know they are going to make great pickles. Thanks for the recipe.