My sister-in-law gave me this recipe a long time ago. It's my favorite. I cook a big pot of beets and then can them. My brother had to eat sugar free, so its posted both ways.
- Cook beets and peel.
- Chop in bite size pieces.
- Put cinnamon, allspice and cut up lemon in a cheesecloth and tie it.
- Put in brine and boil for 15 minutes.
- Put beets in hot sterilized jars and fill each jar with brine to 1/2 to the top.
- Wipe the neck of each jars and put a hot lid on each.
- Water bath for 15 minutes.
- One batch of brine makes about 10 pints.