Recipe by NoraMarie
My sister-in-law gave me this recipe a long time ago. It's my favorite. I cook a big pot of beets and then can them. My brother had to eat sugar free, so its posted both ways.
Top Review by AcadiaTwo
I cut this recipe into one forth as I am the only one who eats pickled beets in my family, and I didn't want a life time supply. The recipe produces a tasty pickled beet with just the right amount of spice, and it worked out fine for me. I used only one bunch of beets. Made for Let's PARTY tag.
- 4 cups sugar (12 tsp. sweetener=1 cup)
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 lemon, cut up in small pieces rind and all
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beets and peel.
- Chop in bite size pieces.
- Put cinnamon, allspice and cut up lemon in a cheesecloth and tie it.
- Put in brine and boil for 15 minutes.
- Put beets in hot sterilized jars and fill each jar with brine to 1/2 to the top.
- Wipe the neck of each jars and put a hot lid on each.
- Water bath for 15 minutes.
- One batch of brine makes about 10 pints.