photo by Mrs. Hughes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 6 quarts of fresh beets
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar (white will do)
- 2 cups water
- Wash beets, put in pot of water to cover and boil for about 20 minutes.
- Drain and cool in cold water, remove ends and peel (skin usually slips off), cut in quarters or more for larger beets.
- Bring remaining ingredients to a boil with 2 cups water, add beets and simmer 10 minutes, Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Pack in hot sterile jars, seal and process in a hot water bath for 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Top stuff. I have never pickled beets before, and this recipe was just absolutely perfect. It is so simple!! (except for peeling the beets) I added some lemons cut into small, but thick triangles, and they made for an excellent contrast when I put them in their jars, as well as adding a little extra zing. I also roasted the beets instead of boiling, I got a lot of advice that this is a better way to keep better colour and flavour. Thanks very much Tara, I will make this again and agian.
Teriffic, I didn't have cinnamon sticks but these are just like my Pennsylvania Dutch childhood memory.I used half the recipe for about 8-12 medium sized beets first ovenroasted and then peeled & chunked to pickle size and then on to step3. From step 3 to a Corning covered dish in the fridge. Better than a dill pickle with a sandwich !!!
see 26 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I enjoy cooking, fishing and working (yes I actually love my job's) Full time admin with in Financial Planning and part time with a Pet Food company. Never had children but have furry ones.