1 hr 5 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off all but 2-inches of the beet tops, leave the root ends attached.
- 2Peel and slice the onions into 1/4-slices.
- 3Heat enough water to cover beets to boiling.
- 4Add beets and 2 tsp vinegar for each quart of water used.
- 5Cover and heat to boiling.
- 6Cook until beets are tender, 35 to 45 minutes; drain.
- 7Run cold water over beets, slip off skins and remove the root ends.
- 8Cut beets into 1/4-inch slices.
- 9Heat remaining ingredients to boiling in a 6-quart Dutch oven, reduce heat.
- 10Simmer, uncovered 10 minutes, stir in beets.
- 11Pack beets and onions in hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- 12Heat syrup to boiling.
- 13Pour over beets and onions, leaving about 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- 14Process 30 minutes in boiling water bath.
- 167 cans (16 ounces each) sliced beets, drained, can be substituted for the beets in the above recipe.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Beet and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (725 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 899.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 99.2 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole mixed pickling spices