Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Cut off all but 2-inches of the beet tops, leave the root ends attached.
- Peel and slice the onions into 1/4-slices.
- Heat enough water to cover beets to boiling.
- Add beets and 2 tsp vinegar for each quart of water used.
- Cover and heat to boiling.
- Cook until beets are tender, 35 to 45 minutes; drain.
- Run cold water over beets, slip off skins and remove the root ends.
- Cut beets into 1/4-inch slices.
- Heat remaining ingredients to boiling in a 6-quart Dutch oven, reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered 10 minutes, stir in beets.
- Pack beets and onions in hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Heat syrup to boiling.
- Pour over beets and onions, leaving about 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process 30 minutes in boiling water bath.
- 7 cans (16 ounces each) sliced beets, drained, can be substituted for the beets in the above recipe.