This is great with hamburgers, sausages, cheese, fish and chips, whatever. It goes back at least 4 generations, and this version is from Holly Jones. (Prep. time is mainly overnight)20
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb small pickling onions or 1 lb shallot, peeled
- 1 lb cauliflower floret
- 1 lb runner beans, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 lb cucumber, seeded and cut into half-inch dice
- 1 lb pumpkin, peeled,seeded & cut in half-inch dice
- 1 lb zucchini, cut in half-inch dice
- 1/2 lb salt (for brining)
- 1 ounce mustard powder
- 1 ounce ground ginger
- 1 ounce curry powder, mild or hot
- 1/2 ounce ground turmeric
- 1 ounce cornstarch
- 1 ounce black peppercorns
- 1 3/4 pints malt vinegar
- 1Put all the ingredients, except the last seven, in a large bowl and mix together with the salt.
- 2Cover and leave overnight.
- 3Drain and rinse the vegetables under RUNNING cold water.
- 5Put 3/4 of the vinegar in a large preserving pan and add the spices and vegetables.
- 6Bring to the boil and simmer till just tender.
- 7(Not soggy!) Mix the cornflour with the rest of the vinegar and add to the pan.
- 8Mix together and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 9Turn into hot sterilised jars, seal and cool.
- 10Store for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard before eating.
Nutritional Facts for Piccalilli
Serving Size: 1 (3940 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1820.8
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 117723.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 337.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 84.2 g
- Sugars 87.8 g
- Protein 65.3 g