Recipe by Nelly
This is great with hamburgers, sausages, cheese, fish and chips, whatever. It goes back at least 4 generations, and this version is from Holly Jones. (Prep. time is mainly overnight)20
- 1 lb small pickling onions or 1 lb shallot, peeled
- 1 lb cauliflower floret
- 1 lb runner beans, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 lb cucumber, seeded and cut into half-inch dice
- 1 lb pumpkin, peeled,seeded & cut in half-inch dice
- 1 lb zucchini, cut in half-inch dice
- 1⁄2 lb salt (for brining)
- 1 ounce mustard powder
- 1 ounce ground ginger
- 1 ounce curry powder, mild or hot
- 1⁄2 ounce ground turmeric
- 1 ounce cornstarch
- 1 ounce black peppercorns
- 1 3⁄4 pints malt vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the ingredients, except the last seven, in a large bowl and mix together with the salt.
- Cover and leave overnight.
- Drain and rinse the vegetables under RUNNING cold water.
- Put 3/4 of the vinegar in a large preserving pan and add the spices and vegetables.
- Bring to the boil and simmer till just tender.
- (Not soggy!) Mix the cornflour with the rest of the vinegar and add to the pan.
- Mix together and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn into hot sterilised jars, seal and cool.
- Store for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard before eating.