Fish and Chips
photo by May I Have That Rec
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb white fish fillet (cod or halibut)
For the batter
- 1 cup beer (not dark)
- 1 cup flour, and a little more for dusting
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- Combine all batter ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the fillets into desired sized pieces.
- Dust fillets with flour.
- Dip the fillets in the batter.
- Fry fillets in deep fryer at 375 degrees with at least 2 inches of vegetable oil until golden brown. Don't crowd the fillets while frying.
- Drain fillets on paper towels or brown paper bags from the grocery store.
- Serve with french fries, tarter sauce, cocktail sauce, malt vinegar and cole slaw or cucumber salad (see Zaar recipe 211355).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very good; I will make this again and again. I love the fact that it's so easy to remember! I sprinkled the fish with a little Old Bay and salt before battering. I fried a lb. of fish and had plenty of batter left--I think this recipe would probably be enough for 2 lbs. of fish. Thanks Greg in San Diego!
see 15 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm a recently retired San Diego trial attorney and wanna-be professional chef-restauranteur. Why am I so passionate about cooking? I don't know. What I do know is that those who don't cook are missing out on one of life's truly enjoyable experiences! I have a collection of whimsical signs posted above my workbench at home, one of which states: Love people. Cook them tasty food. How true.</p> 8727975"