Recipe by LorenLou
I believe this was a Pace Picante sauce recipe, but you can use any brand. A nice twist on onion soup!
Top Review by mrsjjkool
I was wondering if this was here! My mom used to make this when we were kids. I like to add more picante sauce to mine at the end to make it more chunky! It is a great recipe to have on hand, and it is especially good with mozzerella cheese!
- 3 cups onions, thinly sliced (prefer Texas 1015 or other sweet onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups tomato juice (or can sub 1 c. tomato sauce and 1 c. water)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth (or vegetable broth for non-meat eaters!)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can water
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce (you choose the heat)
- 1 cup crouton (plain or seasoned)
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onions and garlic in butter in a large saucepan, over medium-low heat until tender and golden brown.
- Stir frequently, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomato juice, broth, water, and picante sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered, about 20 minutes more.
- Serve with the croutons and cheese.