Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Steak and french fries are a classic combination. For their classic dish lomo saltado, Peruvians toss the two together. From Grace Parisi, Food & Wine, MAY 2011.
- 59.14 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 1 garlic clove
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 453.59 g skirt steak
- 1 red onion, halved and slivered
- vegetable oil
- 226.79 g frozen french fries
- 59.14 ml sliced pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 59.14 ml cilantro
- hot sauce, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, cumin, coriander, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Cut the steak into 4-inch pieces; slice the steaks across the grain 1/2 inch thick and add to the bowl along with the onion.
- Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil until shimmering.
- Add the french fries and fry over high heat until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- Heat a large griddle until very hot.
- Add the steak and onion along with the pickled jalapeños and stir-fry over high heat until the meat and onion are cooked through and lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato and cook until softened and beginning to char, about 1 minute.
- Add the french fries and cilantro and flip with a spatula to combine.
- Serve right away with hot sauce.