Recipe by diamonds4heather
This cheesy Chicken Kiev is to die for! I serve it with broccoli rice au grain, nice crusty french bread, and a green salad. Whenever I go for a visit somewhere or offer to make someone dinner, this is what they ineviatbly request. Kids, husbands, and friends will love it!
Top Review by MizzNezz
These are terrific!! They literally explode with flavor. I put them together this morning and cooked them for super. The cheesy inside, with the crusty outside--oh my, they are so good. I didn't alter this recipe at all. It stands on it's own. This one will definitly be a repeat! Thanks, Heather!!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- monterey jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
For herbed butter
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine (softened)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned garlic salt
For breadcrumb mix
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 -2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- For herbed butter, combine butter or margarine, oregano, parsely, salt and pepper, and garlic salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- One at a time, cover chicken breasts with plastic wrap and flatten with a mallet until about 1/4 inch thick.
- set aside.
- In the center of each chicken breats spread 1 tablespoon of the prepared herbed butter.
- Place 4 tablespoons of the shredded cheese (or as much as you can fit depending on the size of the breast. Get as much in as you can and still be able to roll it).
- in the center of the chicken breast You must now roll the chicken into little bundles; fold over slightly on both left and right sides while you roll from the bottom of breast to the top.
- The end product should be a tight little bundle so the cheese and butter do not leak out during baking.
- You can secure the seems of the bundles with toothpicks (just make sure to get them all out before you serve!) Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and place in a small bowl.
- Dip each bundle into the butter and then roll in the breadcrumb mix.
- You can repeat this step for an extra thick layer of crumbs.
- Place, seam side down, on a baking dish; cover with foil; refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.
- Place in a preheated 350 Degree oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- When checking the chicken, cut with kitchen knife, but be careful not to cut down to cheese inside or it will ooze out.