Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
South Beach Diet Online (Phase 2) When zucchini and summer squash fill the garden, we turn to this flavorful pasta dish, which can easily be doubled or tripled for a big outdoor gathering. In place of basil, try fresh cilantro, mint, regular chives, or garlic chives.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pepperoncini peppers, minced (from a jar)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 2 ounces reduced-fat goat cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (or grape tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, pepperoncini, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes to flavor the oil. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Reserving 2 tablespoons of pasta cooking liquid, drain pasta.
- Add pasta, reserved pasta cooking liquid, zucchini, cheese, tomatoes, and basil to skillet; toss to combine. Cook over medium heat until pasta is just heated through and cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with additional pepper to taste and serve warm.
Very tasty pasta recipe. Substitute spinach for zucchini for variation and Light Laughing Cow Cheese for goat cheese to reduce fat.