Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Don't pass this recipe up, these are delicious! These freeze really well. The crushed chilies are optional, but good to add in. Don't be shy with the baking powder, use a slightly heaping tablespoonful!
- 1 3⁄4 cups finely chopped pepperoni
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, very well drainded (squeeze out any excess moisture with hands)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup pizza sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or to taste, I use 2 tsps.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 5 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a bowl combine the pepperoni, green pepper, mushrooms, onion, grated cheese, pizza sauce, garlic powder and chilies; mix well to comine.
- Add in eggs and oil; mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour and baking powder.
- Add to the wet mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Spoon and divide the mixture evenly into muffin tins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm or cooled.
- Store any leftover muffins wrapped in the refrigerator or freeze.
I have been looking for a recipe like this for a long time and it was just what I wanted!!! Loved the texture of these muffins. I noticed half way through baking I forgot the garlic powder.. I was so disappointed, but they were still good. I used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup white just to make them healthier for my toddler (she loved them too). I can't wait to try these with crumbled sausage or bacon. Also, a combo of cheddar and mozzarella would be nice in these. Thank you again for this recipe!
I just bought a new kitchen appliance called Muffin Magic. It makes 3 muffins at a time, no oven needed. I went searching for a savory recipe and found this. I made a bunch of changes: used low fat turkey pepperoni (3 oz.), part-skim mozzarella & some grated parmesan cheese (no jack on hand), and Egg Beaters instead of eggs. Oh, and 1/2 cup regular flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat. After mixing it up and putting the first batch of 3 in the machine, I realized I left the pizza sauce out of the mix! I added it to the remaining batter and hoped for the best. The first 3 (without sauce) came out great in the machine in about 11 minutes. The rest, with sauce, also came out good but baked up darker, due to the sauce. I've eaten half of each, with and without sauce and both are excellent. I think I might actually prefer them without sauce, which could always be served on the side for dipping. The texture is just a little nicer, and they don't come out as dark. With the Muffin magic I do not use paper liners. I will definitely be making these again. With my lower fat substitutions, each muffin is only 175 calories with 8g of fat.
I didn't pass this up and yes I was glad. These are tasty and filling. I used the long stick pepperoni and finely minced it. Substituted red pepper for green ( was on hand). just great!