Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
An easy meatloaf with a slightly crunchy veggie texture. Flavorful sauce adds that classic slightly sweet & tangy tomato flavor. HINT: To reduce fat, I bake this for one hour, pour any grease off and *then* pour the sauce over and then bake for the last 15 minutes.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop onion and green bell pepper.
- Gently mix ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, green bell pepper, 1/2 of the tomato sauce, egg, salt, and pepper until combined.
- Do not overmix. Form into a loaf and place in a shallow pan.
- Whisk together the rest of the tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, mustard, and vinegar until smooth. Pour over the meatloaf.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, basting with pan juices about every 20 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before cutting and serving.