1/1 Photo of Penne & Sausages a La Vodka
This recipe is an original creation specifically for the cooking contest. I used the mild Italian sausages but you could increase the heat by using the spicy type & adding more cumin. I served it with Caesar salad & Garlic bread. My DH just loved the sauce & wants me to make this dish again!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian pork sausage (sweet or spicy)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into strips
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb penne
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1Prick sausage casings several times& cook in lightly salted, boiling water for 3 minutes.
- 2Drain, cool& slice into rounds about 1/2 inch thick.
- 3Melt butter& oil in a very large skillet.
- 4Add sausages, onion & garlic; cook on medium heat until sausages are lightly browned.
- 5Add peppers & zucchini & cook for 2 minutes.
- 6Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- 7Add penne & cook, according to package directions, until al dente (approx 9 minutes).
- 8Drain well.
- 9In the meantime, add tomato sauce, salt, pepper & cumin to the sausage mixture.
- 10Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken.
- 11Add vodka & cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- 12Add the cream, nutmeg& Parmesan; simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add pasta to skillet; toss or stir well and serve sprinkled with parsley & additional Parmesan.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne & Sausages a La Vodka
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1059.5
- Calories from Fat 481
- Total Fat 53.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 120.0 mg
- Sodium 2137.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 31.6 g