Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an Ina Garten recipe. Watched her make this on her show and had to get the recipe. This is NOT for the calorie counter! Dip one end in melted chocolate for and extra special treat.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb butter
- 1 cup honey
- 3 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 lbs pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- For the crust: Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light, approximately 3 minute.
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into another bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the batter with the mixer on low speed until just combined.
- Press dough evenly into an ungreased 18x12" baking sheet, making an edge around the outside. It will be very sticky; sprinkle the dough and your hands lightly with flour.
- Bake for 15 min, until crust is set but not browned.
- Allow to cool.
- For topping: Combine the butter, honey, brown sugar and zests in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until the butter is melted, using a wooden spoon to stir.
- Raise the heat and boil for 3 minute.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the heavy cream and pecans.
- Pour over crust, trying not to get the filling between the crust and the pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Cut into bars and serve.
These pecan squares are delicious! The only change that I would make is to cut the recipe for the crust in half, but make all of the topping. I would definately make these again if only they didn't have so many calories and fat! But if you do make these, make sure that you but a slightly larger baking sheet on a lower oven rack to catch the drippings from the topping--it will boil over if you make the full recipe.