1/1 Photo of Peasant Salad from Cyprus (Choriatiki)
André Grisell's Note:
Perfect summer food. A reminiscence of vacations in Cyprus or Greece. Serve with bread and a cooled light wine or mineral water. Tastes best outdoors in the hottest time of the day. The treatment of the onion will reduce the strong and bitter taste and make it possible to use a greater amount of it. The raw eggplant may seem peculiar, but will add a little bitter taste that goes well with the sweeter vegetables. Traditionally, the cheese is not mixed with the salad, but exposed on top. Neither is the dressing made in advance, but up to the guests. NB that there is no lettuce in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 large red onions or 1 large white onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 small eggplant
- 4 small fresh beetroots
- 1/2 lb Greek feta cheese
- 20 kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- oregano (preferably fresh)
- wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil (preferably Greek)
- 1Slice the onion very thinly.
- 2Mix with one tablespoon (sic!) salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 3Knead the onion until it becomes transparent.
- 4Then rinse in lots of water and drain.
- 5Peel the cucumber.
- 6Cut it and the tomatoes into large chunks.
- 7Cut the celery and eggplant into smaller pieces.
- 8Arrange nicely on four plates.
- 9Grate the beetroots and put on top (mixing them with the rest would make the salad red).
- 10Divide the cheese into four pieces and put on top of the beetroots.
- 11Garnish with olives, capers and oregano.
- 12Serve salt, pepper, vinegar and oil à part, so that everyone makes his own dressing.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peasant Salad from Cyprus (Choriatiki)
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.6
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 50.4 mg
- Sodium 884.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 12.2 g