Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
these meatballs are fantastic. i got the recipe from my mother, who got it out of a newspaper years ago. i wish i new who published it, to give thanks.these meatballs are wonderful with a nice spinach salad and warm bread.enjoy.
- 1 -2 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- combine: meat, egg, milk, barley, chili powder, and salt in a bowl. mix and form into 2" meatballs. melt butter and oil in fry pan. brown meatballs on all sides.
- combine: tomatoes, water, teriyaki sauce, and onion in a large sauce pan. bring to a boil. drop meatballs into sauce pan. cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
The family's new favorite! Tasty and flavorful!!!<br/>Was out of rice (used in old porcupine meatballs recipe) and had a bag of pearl barley...googled for a meatballs with barley recipe. Chose this recipe since I had all of the ingredients on hand. Serendipity!<br/>Now I keep a bag of the precooked meatballs (without the sauce) handy in the freezer for DELICIOUS quick meals and my family loves the leftovers!!!
Certainly are very good meatballs, tender, juicy and full of flavour! I really did wonder how the barley would cook up but I needn't have worried, cooks perfectly as these meatballs simmer in a a tantalisingly tasty sauce!!! Lacking teriyaki sauce, I made my own, using recipe#55859, and I served these meatballs with recipe#181396 and recipe#341648. My husband is THRILLED that we have leftovers for his lunch, in fact he sneaked some meatballs for breakfast :D. Thank you, I luv grubs, recipe made for PAC Spring 2012