Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love this recipe! The rice is flavorful and just slightly spicy. I have typed it exactly as written. However, when I make it, I sautee the (sweet italian) sausage first without any butter or oil, and then I add the onion and bell pepper. I always buy a local brand of sausage and I never add salt to dishes with tomatoes in them.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sausage
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon red hot sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- add salt, to taste if desired (optional)
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and bell pepper in butter.
- Add sausage; heat until mixture is slightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, hot sauce, water, and bouillon cubes.
- Season with pepper and salt as needed.
- Stir in rice.
- Pour mixture into a greased casserole and bake for 45 minutes.
We really enjoyed this rice and thought it was very flavorful. Used rotello tomatoes and added 1/2 cup celery.
We really wanted to like this rice, but unfortunately we just found it not to our liking. All we could taste was the hot sauce and it was not that it was too spicy (we love spicy) it was just that the hot sauce flavor was so overwhelming I could not taste anything else. I think if I make this again I would probably use rotel tomatoes and just a few dashes of the hot sauce and add a pinch of cayenne to add heat but avoid the overwhelming taste of nothing but hot sauce. Thanks for posting. Also, it would be helpful to post what kind of sausage to use, I was unsure so I used a cajun sausage.