Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice Italian dish.
- 1 lb macaroni (pre-cooked and mixed with a little tomato sauce, about 1 cup, ziti or rigatoni, etc., could be used)
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 cup romano cheese, grated
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 quart pasta sauce
- Mix one cup of the sauce with the cooked macaroni.
- Mix the ricotta with 3/4 cup of grated cheese, parsley and egg.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the red pepper flakes.
- Layer sauce on the bottom of a deep casserole.
- Add 1/3 of the pasta followed by 1/2 of the ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Put down a layer of sauce and repeat.
- Add the final layer of macaroni and top with sauce and the remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbling and the cheese on top starts to brown.
This is a very rich pasta casserole - be warned and I feel needs a spicy home made pasta sauce. Certainly a commercial one will not do it justice. Also, it is very cheesy (fine with us) but maybe go on the lighter side first try.
We like this sort or casserole but in small servings.
This is quick and delicious! Used half ricotta and half cottage cheese and used low-fat mozzarella cheese. Added a bit more pepper flakes to spice it up. Thanks Lainey!
This is great! I added a bit more cheese (the more cheese the better!), and used italian seasoning rather than parsley (because I didn't have plain parsley!). My son loved it -- kept saying "more please mommy!" That is the true sign of a keeper recipe :)