Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is another great recipe from the Patti LaBelle cookbook. It is simple, easy and great tasting comfort food. I usually skip the water and double the beef broth. Also for extra richness I will add some red wine to the sauce before putting in the oven.
- 4 lbs boneless beef roast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, 1 chopped and 2 cut into quarters
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 medium celery ribs, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 12 baby carrots
- 8 small red potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees.
- Season beef with seasoned salt and pepper.
- Place the flour in a shallow plate and roll the beef in to coat, shaking off excess. Set aside remaining flour.
- In Dutch oven, heat 2 TBSP oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 TBSP of oil to the pot and heat. Add the chopped onions and green pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes. Return the meat to the pot.
- Add 1 cup of water and all the broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and put in the oven for 2 hours.
- Add the quartered onions, celery, carrots and potatoes and cook for about another 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from oven. Using a slotted spoon remove the roast and vegetables and cover with foil.
- Skim the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid.
- In a small bowl add remaining flour.
- Gradually add water to dissolve the flour.
- Stir into the pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat and continue to simmer until the gravy thickens. About five minutes.
- Salt and pepper gravy to taste.
- Carve the roast. Return the sliced roast and vegetables to the pot and simmer for five minutes.
Great flavor! This is a pot roast you make with little work. I was not sure about how the flavor would turn out but it did turn out good. I did put in the Cooking wine as you suggested. Made for Spring PAC'09.
Wonderful aroma! Tasty roast with lots of gravy. I think there is too much oil is in this recipe and also would skip the green pepper next time. Thanks mini-1 for sharing. Made for Fall PAC '08.