Recipe by *Parsley*
A nice way to enjoy parsnips; especially for those who have never tried them.
Top Review by Queen Dana
DH and I thought this was great. We both really like parsnips. I didn't have any breadcrumbs and felt as though I needed to top the dish with something, so I used bacon. Made for ZWT6.
- 2 lbs parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut in about a 1-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups light cream (or half and half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease/spray a 1 1/2 qt casserole dish.
- Cook sliced parsnips and carrots in boiling, salted water until tender (about 12-15 minutes); drain and place in prepared casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Saute the onions in butter for 3-5 minutes or until soft.
- Reduce heat to med-low and add flour to saucepan; stirring constantly.
- Add cream, tarragon, salt, pepper, paprika and ground mustard.
- Add parmesan cheese and continue to heat over med-low heat, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted and mixture thickens.
- Evenly pour sauce over parsnip/carrot mixture in casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs with melted butter; evenly sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 for about 20 minutes.