Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups milk
- 12 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- In a soup kettle, saute onion in butter or margarine until tender.
- Stir in flour and spices.
- Gradually add broth, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in milk and cheese.
- Heat through.
- Stir in bacon.
I have to agree that the liquid was too much for me. I halved the broth and milk and thought that the flavor was excellent. The group that I made it for definitely agreed.
i love parmesan in recipes but this one just didn't work. way too much liquid and not near enough potatoes.. i adjusted things somewhat and it was not that bad, but unless i did something terribly wrong, this recipe either needs serious adjusting or you need potatoes the size of texas..the parmesan just made it gritty