Crockpot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
photo by Stesoula
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used 4 cups of water chicken bouillon cubes)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half-and-half, warmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large crockpot, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and basil.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
- About an hour before serving prepare a roux: Melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup from the slow cooker. Add another 3 cups soup and stir until smooth.
- Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for another hour until ready to serve. Serve with fresh hot bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love to cook, but hate to measure ... so I pretty much guess at everything :) </p> 114807933"