Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is from TOH. The contributor suggests topping this with cream cheese. Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds).
- 1 cup water (70 to 80)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
The texture turns out very well.. soft and not too dense. I wonder if I can put more paprika eg 2 tsp. Will it affect the bread apart from the taste ?
I made 7 mini loaves out of this and it is wonderful. Annacia is right, the aroma is TDF. The onions sort of mellow out and are not really strong. I found that this bread is BEST warm, with butter,of course. Thank you- made for the French Forum Spice of the Month game- paprika.
I made 2 small loaves from this on a cold and rainy day and the aroma from the oven was out of this world. The flavor is milder than you might think but all I had was Sweet Hungarian Paprika it would likely be more pungent with hot paprika. This will be the perfect enclosure for a roast beef sandwich. The recipe works wonderfully, the loaves rose toward the sky quickly (I used Splenda in place of the sugar). I might mention that I oven baked the dough after the machine had worked the dough for me. For more fiber I used 1 cup of whole wheat to 2 cups of white. Wonderful!