Recipe by diner524
I was watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and this was made and looked too good. Luckily it was submitted for publishing on the site and wasn't on food.com. This is a recipe courtesy of Maria Bayer, Magnolia Pancake Haus. People eat it for breakfast at the restaurant but could also be served as a dessert.
Top Review by LKC_NYC
This was super easy and delicious. Next time I will cut down the sugar though. It's just not necessary to use quite so much in the apples, although I did use a different type of apple. I cooked this in a 10" cast iron skillet. Need to be careful not to wait too long to put it in the oven and burn the bottom due to the sugar. I pulled it out of the oven 2 minutes early. Came out nice. A real treat.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- powdered sugar, for serving
- whipped cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and apples to a pan. Saute the apples over medium-low heat until slightly soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the batter. Mix the milk, vanilla and eggs in a bowl. Add the flour, granulated sugar and salt and whisk lightly (some lumps are ok but not too many).
- Increase the heat under the apples to medium and add the brown sugar and butter. Cook until a syrup forms, about 3 minutes, then add the batter all at once to the center of the pan. Swirl the apple syrup mix through the batter, using a heatproof spatula, to form ribbons (you do not want to fully combine the apple-sugar syrup into the batter). Cook until small bubbles form around the edge.
- Finish cooking the pannekoeken in the oven, 12 minutes. To serve, invert a 12-inch plate over the pan and flip the pan to turn out the pannekoeken. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, top with whipped cream and enjoy!