1/10 Photos of Panko Chicken With Creamy Sauce
Leggy Peggy's Note:
Most of us make a lot of chicken dishes. This one is quick and easy, and full of flavor. It has been created for a Ready, Set, Cook contest. It uses seven RSC ingredients (two more than required), so you can omit the mushrooms if you are a non-mushroom lover. The timing is a little hard to calculate. Not counting the marinating (which I did overnight once and 8 hours for another time), I found that I could make all of the rest of the recipe within 50 minutes. But I was busy for a lot of the time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken thigh, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1/2-1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 2 -3 roasted garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped finely
- 1Combine chicken thighs and buttermilk in a bowl. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate for at least three hours. Overnight is okay, too. My chicken thighs were quite large, so I cut them in half to maximize the coverage of panko breadcrumbs (see note in Step 4).
- 2When ready to cook, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3Combine panko breadcrumbs, thyme, smoked paprika, lemon zest and salt in a bowl and stir well.
- 4Remove each thigh piece from marinade and dredge in the panko mixture. Transfer to a plate. Note: Panko breadcrumbs are larger and crispier than regular breadcrumbs. I love their taste and texture -- I cut the thighs in half so I can use more crumbs. If you leave the thighs whole, you will probably need only 1 cup of crumbs.
- 5Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet/frying pan. Brown the thighs, on both sides – about 4-5 minutes per side. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to do this in more than one batch.
- 6Transfer partially-cooked thighs to a baking dish and pop in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- 7While the thighs are cooking, wipe out the skillet/frying pan you used for the chicken, so you can use it again. Hey, why wash pots and pans unnecessarily. And slice the onions and mushrooms, and chop the garlic and parsley.
- 8Melt the butter in the wiped-out skillet and add the last tablespoon of oil. Heat. Then add the sliced onions and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the sliced mushrooms and chopped garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until everything has softened.
- 9Stir in the cream and parsley. Heat through.
- 10When serving, spoon sauce over the chicken.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panko Chicken With Creamy Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.6
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 146.4 mg
- Sodium 759.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 31.0 g