Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I created this years ago for my husband and his family. I entered it in a Chili cook off on IVILLAGE several years ago and it was printed on their web site. It also came in second in a Elks Lodge Chili Cook off. I've given the recipe as a gift for the holidays too. Just place the spices in a pretty jar, then put everything in a basket along with nicely printed instructions. BEWARE! This recipe is hot!
- 2 -4 lbs beef (Ribeye or London Broil are very tender and tasty)
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 3 -8 garlic cloves (crushed or minced, I use a lot!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons white pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 4 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans green chilies, roasted
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- In large Dutch Oven add the oil. Cut beef into bite size pieces. Add beef, garlic and onion and sauté until medium brown. Halfway through the sauté process, add Chili powder, Cayenne Pepper, dried, crushed peppers, Cumin, Paprika, White pepper. Once browned, add Cilantro, parsley, tomatoes, and beans. Simmer on medium/low heat for at least 1-1/2 hours. This Chili tastes best the next day, as the spices have had a chance to really take flavor! I serve this with grated cheese, sour cream, and fresh chopped onions, soda crackers or flour tortillas.
This was very good. I used 2 lbs of ground beef, because that is what I had on hand. I did use 8 garlic cloves and added 3 finely chopped jalapenos and cut the ceyenne pepper to 2 tsps. I added a little garlic salt to taste and a little sugar, to take the acidity from the garden tomatoes that I used.. I also added 1 1/2 cups of beef broth, because it seemed very thick, maybe because I used fresh tomatoes. I will make this again and it was great the next day!