Classic Crock Pot Beef Chili
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 5mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans or (14 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 sweet onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chile, diced (optional)
- Brown meat, add garlic and onion. Add chili powder and cumin. Heat through.
- In crock pot mix tomatoes, beans, chilies and paste. Add meat mixture.
- Crock on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was OK for us. I followed the recipe exactly as written othe then I doubled it. I didn't add the optional chile. This is a very thick chili. We like a thick chili but I do think this is a bit too thick. I think it could use another can of crushed tomatoes. For us, it also needed more chili powder. I didn't like that you added the chili powder in the meat mixture. I don't think it draws through the chili that way. I added another two tablespoons to the mixture. This is a good base but for us needs some changing.
Like the other review said, this is a good base to start with. I made a couple modifications. I also doubled the recipe and found the recipe 'as is' will be a very thick chili. Instead, I used 2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes and added a cup of water to get the consistancy I like. I also added a couple tablespoons of cayenne pepper and salt for taste once it was finished cooking.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Childhood Cancer Awareness Advocate and mom to sassy, smart 18 y/o DD and courageous, artsy 16 y/o DD who is a survivor of cancer and heart failure [caused by the chemo] and wife to steadfast, goofy husband. We are from Thunder Bay but at the moment are medically displaced in Toronto as my daughter needs to stick close to Sick Kids Hospital until she gets a new heart. After 18 months living at Ronald McDonald House we moved into a tiny, 2 bedroom apartment in the Village thanks to Maggie Q who is paying our rent! Life is tough but we will do whatever it takes to give our daughter a fighting chance at a long, normal life.</p>