Green Tomato Beef Chili
photo by michellewilson1106
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 cups green tomatoes, put through food processor
- 1⁄2 cup red ripe tomato (or tomato paste or sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chili pepper (or 1 cup roasted sweet peppers )
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (chopped)
- 1 lb beef steak (cubed)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups beans (chickpeas, red, pinto, whichever you like)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper (and or or red pepper)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- Season the steak (pretty heavily) and chop into cubes. Season ground beef also. Set aside.
- In a skillet on medium-high, throw peppers on there to heat up and roast for 10 minutes or until they have dark spots.
- In the meantime, chop up green tomatoes (about 5 large ones) and, if using ripe tomatoes, chop those up also. Once the peppers have started showing dark spots, remove from skillet and throw into food processor, along with the tomatoes and onions.You can add the paprika then to the tomato puree or wait until everything's combined.
- Add the cubed steak to the skillet and sear until it is just pink in the center.
- Throw into crockpot (or wherever you will make the chili).
- Cook seasoned ground beef.
- Add tomato/onion/pepper puree to crockpot (or pot on stove) and mix with steak.
- Finally, add the cooked ground beef.
- Once the contents are hot and have been boiling for 15 minutes, add the beans. If they are not canned, add between 1/2 and 1 cup of water to the pot. This will depend on if you want the chili to be ready quickly or if you want to let it simmer in the crockpot for a few hours. I think that the more you let it simmer, the better it tastes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!