Crock Pot Chili Con Carne With Beans
- Ready In:
- 10hrs 20mins
- 1 lb bacon, cut up in small chunks
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 4 (1 lb) cans canned kidney beans
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes (Hunts has them spiced for chili)
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 ounces chili powder
- 4 ounces cayenne pepper (dry powder)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno peppers or 2 serrano peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- Fry the bacon until it starts to brown, then put it into the crock pot.
- In the bacon drippings, brown the ground beef.
- Put the ground beef, beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, chili powder (In Southern California we have a great variety available, but Gebhardt's would work), and the cayenne into the crock pot with the beef broth.
- Cut the stems off the fresh jalapenos and cut them in two or three chunks.
- place the peppers along with the garlic and whole fresh tomatoes into a food processor and puree the three ingredients.
- Put this into the crock pot, stir to mix and let it all cook for 10-12 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.
- By making a puree out to of the peppers and garlic, you get a more evenly dispersed blend.
- I used the tomatoes to give some moisture to the puree.
- Serrano chilies are three times hotter than jalapenos so don't let their small size fool you.
Join The Conversation