Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from an old newspaper clipping in my grandmothers recipe box. It supposedly is from the Restaurant La Gallega in San Juan, PR. I think the recipe is more of an asopao than a true Spanish paella.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts
- 4 boneless pork chops, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- salt, to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup crabmeat
- 2 cups medium grain rice
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (15 ounce) bag frozen lima beans
- Heat the oil in large 14 inch skillet. Brown onion and garlic slightly. Add chicken and pork chop cubes and brown on all sides.
- Add paprika, turmeric, and salt. Mix well. Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Cover ingredients with chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add crab meat then rice. Five minutes later add shrimp and lima beans. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is almost done. Drain off most of excess water. Remove pan from fire and let stand 15 minutes, uncovered.