Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from an old newspaper clipping in my grandmothers recipe box. It supposedly is from the Restaurant La Gallega in San Juan, PR. I think the recipe is more of an asopao than a true Spanish paella.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts
- 4 boneless pork chops, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- salt, to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup crabmeat
- 2 cups medium grain rice
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (15 ounce) bag frozen lima beans
- Heat the oil in large 14 inch skillet. Brown onion and garlic slightly. Add chicken and pork chop cubes and brown on all sides.
- Add paprika, turmeric, and salt. Mix well. Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Cover ingredients with chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add crab meat then rice. Five minutes later add shrimp and lima beans. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is almost done. Drain off most of excess water. Remove pan from fire and let stand 15 minutes, uncovered.