Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My favorite Thai dish!
- 1 (16 ounce) package rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk lemongrass, flattened with cleaver and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork loin, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup dried shrimp, soaked in 1/2 cup water for 5 minutes (or 1/2 cup salad shrimp plus salt to taste)
- 6 Thai red chili peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 cups bean sprouts
- 1⁄4 cup chinese chives, chopped (or 1/4 cup chopped green onion plus minced garlic to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄3 cup chopped peanuts
- Cook noodles in boiling water for 1-2 minutes or until softened, stirring constantly; drain and plunge into cold water; drain again.
- Stir-fry onion and garlic in wok until tender; add pork, shrimp, lemongrass, and chilies, cooking 5 minutes further, or until pork is done.
- Add sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, ketchup, black pepper, eggs, noodles, bean sprouts and chives; cook, stirring well for 2-4 minutes, until egg is pretty much cooked and set.
- Serve on plates sprinkled with cilantro and peanuts; and optional hot sauces such as Nam Prik Dang or Sambal Oelek (chile paste) as table condiments, if desired.
This is one of my "usual" whenever I visit my local favorite (the Cheesecake Factory restaurant has very decent Pad Thai). It's so easy to make, the most difficult task was to cut up the pork loin. I left out the lemongrass since I couldn't find it anywhere. The missing ingredient did not compromise the end result. The leftover looks much healthier than the one from the restaurant, no grease collected at the bottom of the container. Thank you for sharing your receipe.
Sue L and everyone else, the lemon grass is with the spices in the gormet section of all thge spices in the grocery store. I think it does add to the taste. I really love pad Thai and I like it spicey so I added some extra Thai chili peppers
My husband and I thought this was good but not enough to make again. This recipe seemed to take more work than others and like the others, does not have enough sauce. We used chicken.