Vegan Pad Thai
A vegan version of a popular dish from Thailand.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 ounces dry rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup red peppers or 1/2 cup yellow pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanuts
- 10 pieces gluten
- 2 green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Soak the noodles in hot water for 10 minutes, while heating up a large frying pan or wok.
- Once the pan is hot melt the coconut oil in it, and throw in the gluten and peanuts. Season this with 1/4 tsp of the curry powder and stirfry while the noodles are softening.
- Mix in the garlic, sliced peppers and chopped green onion and continue to stirfry on medium.
- Drain the noodles and add them to the stirfy makeing sure they get covered evenly in oil. The noodles will soak up the oil and when that happens add the soy sauce.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Season with crushed red pepper, ginger, curry, cilantro, b. pepper, caynne, salt and continue to stirfry on low until noodles become slightly caramelized and the dish is evenly coated in it's seasonings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Good QUICK lunch. I whipped this up in 10 minutes with leftover rice noodles! I halved the recipe, and used tofu for the gluten as it's what I had (also great!). I thought the heat was perfect, but I would up the other spices next time, and it definitely needed more then a pinch of salt. I will be giving this a another go around though!Reply
WOW! Easily the best Pad Thai I've ever made and going straight into my ~ENCORE~ cookbook reserved for the best of the best. I did make some changes, but believe the essence of the recipe solidly remains. I didn't use gluten or red pepper flakes, used peanut instead of coconut oil, and roasted my red peppers. My husband and I both loved it, but he didn't have seconds... he had FOURTHS! Thank you bunches, Vegan Dave, for this great go-to version of lovely dish. Encore! *Made for PAC Fall 2008*Reply
see 4 more