Quick & Easy Shrimp Pad Thai
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb pad Thai rice noodles
- 1⁄3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek chili paste
- 1 lime, zest of, plus 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce, plus additional, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 1 lb shrimp (16-20 count, peeled and deveined)
- 3⁄4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1⁄4 cups bean sprouts
- 3⁄4 cup roughly chopped cilantro, plus additional for serving
- roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped for garnish
- lime slice, for serving
- Place rice noodles in a large bowl. Cover with very hot tap water, stir and set aside until tender, 20 minutes. Do not over soak. Drain and reserve 1 cup soaking liquid.
- Whisk to combine peanut butter, sambal, lime zest, fish sauce and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over high heat, warm oil until shimmering. Add shrimp and cook until nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Add noodles, peanut butter mixture and ? cup reserved soaking water. Cook until fragrant and warmed through. Remove from heat, add lime juice and season to taste with additional fish sauce, adding additional soaking water if necessary to thin sauce. Add tomatoes, bean sprouts and cilantro. Toss everything together to combine. Serve immediately, garnished with peanuts, cilantro and sliced limes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with peanuts, cilantro and sliced limes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Love this recipe! I've made it twice now, the first time exactly as written and the second time, doubling the recipe with a few changes. Exactly as written is amazing but a bit on the hot side for our tastes. The second time, I doubled the recipe using only 1 tbls of the chili paste and I added scallions at the end. Minor changes. This recipe is delicious, and so quick to prepare!!!