Recipe by Sarah Chana
I found this in a recent issue of Binah Magazine, and, while I haven't made it yet, it looks like a great make-ahead for a busy family morning, or for a celebratory brunch. I did not include the overnight time in the refrigerator in the time estimates for making this recipe.
Top Review by Sweet Baboo
This worked really well, and was exactly what I wanted. I chose this recipe because it is relatively plain, and would get its added flavour from the assortment of sauces, jams, fruits and whipped cream I planned to serve on the side for our Mother's Day brunch. The egg bread puffed when baking, but deflated after being taken from the oven. I think that the sweetness was just right, and I loved the suble taste of maple syrup.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 slices bread or 10 slices challah
- 7 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread butter over the bottom of a large baking sheet with 1" high sides (like a jelly roll pan). Arrange bread slices on the pan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, whisking well.
- Pour evenly over the bread slices. Turn the slices to coat both sides.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Remove plastic wrap and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn slices over and bake until golden brown, about another 5 minutes.