Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
I found this recipe on Pinterest and tried it with my family tonight. They loved it, but I must warn you. I don't use canned refried beans, I use http://www.food.com/recipe/simple-and-easy-homemade-refried-beans-460636. In addition, I didn't mix them in because only 1/2 of my family likes them. I layered them into 1/2 the tacos and because I put them on the bottom, those shells ended up a bit soggy. If you choose to separate them like me, I suggest you layer them on top of the meat! Optional Condiments- Lettuce (shredded) Tomato (diced) Salsa Guacamole Sour Cream Olives, sliced
- 2 lbs ground beef (or turkey or chicken)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 ounces green chilies, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons taco seasoning (below)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 2 cups shredded reduced fat colby-monterey jack cheese
- 18 -20 taco shells, hard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- To make taco seasoning, mix all of the ingredients together. Store in an airtight container.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet brown ground beef and onion over medium-high heat. Drain off any excess liquid. Return to pan, add chilies, refried beans, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning. Mix well and cook for a few minutes if mixture seems runny.
- Spoon the taco meat mixture into the taco shells and place into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, standing up. Sprinkle cheese over the top of the taco meat in each shell. Place into the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tacos are heated through.
- Remove from the oven and top with any optional condiments for serving.
These were very good! Quick to make, very tasty, and just an overall fun recipe!
We love this recipe, that's why I shared it. Here is the recipe and my photo from my blog: http://mommyimhungry.blogspot.com/2012/11/oven-tacos.html
These were simple and my whole family loved them. They practically attacked them like vultures. They weren't much harder than a boxed taco dinner and had the extra nutrients from the beans. I will use this recipe many times in the future. Thanks Cooks4_6! I made these for Photo Tag Spring 2013.