Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This delicious, easy stew is always a crowd pleaser. It makes a great meal without having to spend all day in the kitchen. I like to serve it with hot rolls to dip into the sauce.
- 1 -2 lb stew meat
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 -8 medium carrots
- 1 -2 onion
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 (32 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- Place stew meat in bottom of large dutch oven.
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- Layer potatoes on top of stew meat.
- Peel carrots and cut into sticks.
- Layer carrots on top of potatoes.
- Thinly slice onions and layer on top of carrots.
- Sprinkle salt, sugar, and tapioca over onions.
- Pour V-8 over all.
- Cover and cook at 300 degrees for 4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve on plates, spooning sauce over potatoes, meat, and carrots.
This is the stew that I grew up with and is one of my favourite meals. We add celery and I used low sodium V8 to cut back on the sodium content a bit.