1/2 Photos of Oven Roasted Lemon Chicken With Seasoned Sauce
2 hrs 15 mins
A juicy golden chicken with luscious sauce, requiring a minimum of effort. The lemon flavor is not overpowering, but definitely present. Pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes. This recipe comes from a Dutch language cookbook I recently purchased entitled "Mediterraans: Culinair genieten op z'n best" which translates to MEDITERRANEAN: CULINARY ENJOYMENT AT ITS BEST. All the recipes are anonymous so I can't give credit to it's author.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head garlic, cut in half horizontally and still in it paper and skin
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 3 cardamom pods (I use the black ones)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 (1 1/4 kg) whole chickens, thoroughly cleaned and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- water (2 dl , this is just less than 1 cup)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- 1Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- 2Place one of the garlic head halves and half of the lemon slices in a large heat-proof baking dish.
- 3Place the cardamom pods, cumin seeds, and cloves in a mortar and pestle and lightly crush (just enough that their aromas are released); scatter these in the baking dish.
- 4Gently loosen the skin (from the bottom, not neck, end) of the chicken and place lemon slices over the breasts (you should be able to get 2-4 slices over each breast).
- 5Put the remaining lemon slices and the other garlic half inside the chicken.
- 6Place the chicken BREAST SIDE DOWN in the baking dish.
- 7Rub or brush the olive oil over the chicken and salt and pepper as desired.
- 8In a small saucepan on the stove top, heat the water to boiling and dissolve the bouillon cube in it.
- 9Take 2 TBS of this broth and add to the baking dish.
- 10Place the dish in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- 11Remove the dish from the oven, turn the chicken over, baste with pan juices, and return to oven, baking one hour more until the chicken is done (when the thickest part of the leg is pricked, the juices will run clear).
- 12Remove the chicken to a cutting board, and pour any pan juices through a strainer into the saucepan with the remaining chicken bouillon.
- 13Heat this mixture to boiling, and as it boils stir the flour briskly in; boil for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 14Pour the sauce into a serving bowl (if your flour clumped, just strain it as you pour into serving bowl).
- 15Remove the lemon slices and garlic from the chicken; carve as usual.
- 16Serve, passing sauce.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Roasted Lemon Chicken With Seasoned Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 783.9
- Calories from Fat 514
- Total Fat 57.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 228.2 mg
- Sodium 460.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 55.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: