Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is handy for busy days, as it cooks in the oven without a lot of attention.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs stew meat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 carrots
- 6 potatoes
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mushroom soup
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- Cut stew meat and onion into 1" cubes.
- Brown the beef in the hot oil and add the onions half way through cooking.
- Stir in the soup and two soup cans of water.
- Cut the carrots into 1 1/2" pieces.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes.
- Stir all remaining ingredients into the beef, stirring well before you add the carrots and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and place in a 325F oven for 3 hours.
- Stir once per hour and add more hot water if the gravy gets too thick.
- I sometimes substitute Lazy Meatballs for the meat.
Oh my goodness, this is tasty! I dredged the meat in flour before I browned it, because I thought it might need it to make it thicken. I also added a can of drained sliced mushrooms.... MMMMMMMM it is good. The gravy that it makes is wonderful Good recipe momthecook #2