Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
From the November/December issue of Vegetarian Times.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, white and green parts thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks and cook for 5 minutes or unil soft, stirring often.
- Raise heat to medium, add mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown.
- Srir in garlic and thyme, and cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in rice. Add wine and soy sauce, simmer 2 minutes or until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed. Add broth and 1 cup of water and return to a simmer.
- Place lid on Dutch oven and bake 45 minutes. Remove lid, and bake 30 minutes more or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from oven, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fold in peas and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This was good. Reminded me of Rice a Roni (a good thing!) but homemade and much healthier. I made this as a main course but the flavors weren't complex enough for me to stand up on its own. I'd make this again, but as a side.
Great rice dish! I used as a side dish for a dinner party and made "as is" except I left out the peas. I double the recipe and baked it a little longer during the covered baking time and then uncovered as stated to finish it up. It was finished a bit before I was ready but I just held it in the dutch oven and it stayed nice and toasty and the rice was great (I was worried it might get mushy). I needed to use several burners on my cook top so it was great that this could be in the oven. Since we aren't vegetarian I might try this with chicken or beef broth next time to see what the flavor difference is. So glad I tried this recipe - it will be made again. (Thanks for your help VegSocialWorker!)
Delicious: particularly loved - well most of the ingredients, so I was bound to love this recipe! - the wild rice, wine, mushrooms and pine nuts, and I always love leeks and garlic. And I also loved the fact that for much of the cooking time, this could be left unattended. My only changes were that I used 2 leeks (I'd remembered the ingredients incorrectly and had come home with two leeks!), and I used extra stock rather than water. I used my Recipe #135453. Very clear instructions. Thank you for sharing this flavoursome, healthy recipe! Certainly one I'll make again.