Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Classic risotto needs constant stirring but this baked version needs hardly any attention as it cooks gently in the oven. To jazz it up a bit: When you add the remaining butter and cheese, stir in some shredded roast chicken. Heat through for 1-2min. Fry 2oz cubed pancetta or smoked streaky bacon with the onion and garlic. Stir in some fresh, chopped basil, thyme or baby spinach before serving.
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 rosemary sprig, roughly chopped (optional)
- 8 ounces risotto rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 300°F Melt half the butter in an ovenproof casserole, stir in onion, garlic and rosemary (if using).
- Fry over a medium heat for 8-10min until soft and golden.
- Add the rice and cook for 1-2min, stirring, to coat it in the butter.
- Add stock, bring to the boil, cover and cook in oven for 20min. Before serving, stir in remaining butter and the cheese.
This risotto recipe is very easy to make and the flavors compliment each other nicely. I used vegetable stock for mine. I had to bake this for about an hour to get the rice to soften, 20 minutes was no where near enough. Thanks for sharing! Made for the Spring 2009 PAC.